List:       pine-info
Subject:    Re: Forwarded mail....
From:       gs01mew () panther ! Gsu ! EDU (Eric Wardowski)
Date:       1995-10-23 1:44:59

James R. Kelly (jkelly@jeffnet.org) wrote:

: ---------- Forwarded message ----------
: Date: Sun, 22 Oct 1995 10:04:04 -0700
: From: James R. Kelly <jkelly@jeffnet.org>
: To: pine-bugs@cac.washington.edu
: Subject:

: I have an old PC (XT clone) runing in a Non-windows DOS environment, I
: signed up with a non-profit server, Jeffnet and expected to be able to
: send files from work to home, then work on them at homein my own
: wordprocessor, convert them to ascii and send them back. I've been
: working for the Federal Government (US Forest SErvice in a Data General
: Environment) The documents arrive fine but I cannot make them come over
: to my PC. I have Procom. The people running the server are all windows
: based or Mac users and simply said they cannot help me. I'm a union steward
: and doing work for a lot of employees that need my help and are caught
: beneath the wheel of working for low wages for the Federal Government
: w/no benefits,(60% of The Forest Service employees are temporaries yet
: work the same job year after year with no benefits--all employees killed
: in last years Storm King debacle in Colorado were temporary employees).
: I'm in my off season right now and doing unpaid union work. I've been
: having to drive 100 miles round trip to transfer files from DG to disks
: to complete my work, when it ought to be easy and at my finger tips. As
: you might imagine, my management counter parts have been no help this
: problem. I guess I can take on Pine as an editing place, but the time
: involved online is problem in writing and editing long documents.
: If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated.

First off, if you are on a Unix box for your service you can simply use
the editor in Pine for receiving the (A)scii upload from Procomm for
DOS.  You want Ascii and not Raw Ascii.  Your documents can be in a text
form for the upload.  Get into a message, address it and put in the
appropriate subject.  Once in the body editor, just upload (page-up) and
select (A)scii.  Name the file and you will see an unholy wrath of ansi
control sequences -- ignore them!  You can press <Ctrl>-<L> to refresh
the screen after the upload has finished.  Hope this helps.  Downloading
is not much different except you will want to do a screen capture
(<Ctrl>-<F1> on mine) and name the capture file.  Then type out the mail
file using the cat command.  I personally use sz and rz for sending and
receiving zmodem file protocal.  I use this for downloading my mail
file.  Hope this helps.

--
Eric Wardowski
eric.ward@swsbbs.com (and other hot spots!)

          "You live and learn.  Or you don't live long!"
                                        --  Lazarus Long