List:       pine-info
Subject:    Forwarded mail....
From:       "James R. Kelly" <jkelly () jeffnet ! org>
Date:       1995-10-22 17:28:13

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 1995 10:04:04 -0700
From: James R. Kelly <jkelly@jeffnet.org>
To: pine-bugs@cac.washington.edu

I have an old PC (XT clone) runing in a Non-windows DOS environment, I
signed up with a non-profit server, Jeffnet and expected to be able to
send files from work to home, then work on them at homein my own
wordprocessor, convert them to ascii and send them back. I've been
working for the Federal Government (US Forest SErvice in a Data General
Environment) The documents arrive fine but I cannot make them come over
to my PC. I have Procom. The people running the server are all windows
based or Mac users and simply said they cannot help me. I'm a union steward
and doing work for a lot of employees that need my help and are caught
beneath the wheel of working for low wages for the Federal Government
w/no benefits,(60% of The Forest Service employees are temporaries yet
work the same job year after year with no benefits--all employees killed
in last years Storm King debacle in Colorado were temporary employees).
I'm in my off season right now and doing unpaid union work. I've been
having to drive 100 miles round trip to transfer files from DG to disks
to complete my work, when it ought to be easy and at my finger tips. As
you might imagine, my management counter parts have been no help this
problem. I guess I can take on Pine as an editing place, but the time
involved online is problem in writing and editing long documents.
If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated.

James Kelly, Steward
Local 2010
National Federation of Federal Employees