List:       phpslash
Subject:    Re: [PHPSLASH] Mac admin login
From:       "nathan r. hruby" <nhruby () arches ! uga ! edu>
Date:       2000-03-30 16:27:35

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Philip Gabbert wrote:

> All sessions last through the life of an Application. On PCs, the
> life of applications is the life of the window. Each window is it's
> own application on PC systems (something I don't like). Even when you
> browse through the explorer. SO, each Netscape window is another
> instance of the Netscape application.

For Win-ie at least you can unset the "Start Each Window in a seperate
process" flag to disable this.  But, yes, you are correct.

> On Mac systems, you have once instance of the Application, and
> multiple windows within it. The application never ends until you
> completely quit the app. It's just the way sessions are.
> SO .. 'Cause of the Macintosh architecture, you just have to
> physically logout or completely quit the application to kill your
> session based cookies.

Yes, there's no way around that :(  Be sure to logout before closing a
window and leaving it or close Netscape totally.  (Until OSX at least,
Mmmmmm Aqua, Mmmmm BSD kernel... Mmmmm... Protected memory space finally!)

-n

> >I just noticed something. On my Mac, I can login once as admin and close the
> >window, but not quit (netscape or ie) the browser, when I then go back to
> >the admin page I do not need to login,  my password is still in there, and
> >the page is not a cached version.
> >
> >I know this does not happen on windows, I'm not sure if this is a security
> >issue or not. Just seemed like something ya'll should know about.

> >the body, not the subject, of your message.

nathan hruby
Webmaster: UGA Department of Drama and Theatre
nhruby@arches.uga.edu

-