List:       php-general
Subject:    RE: [PHP3] Database Design
From:       "Sander Pilon" <sander () 3dnews ! net>
Date:       1999-11-08 15:29:04

Alas, you got me all wrong then. And don't say I didnt warn you!

First of all - I'm not looking down at anyone. Second - the original author
wondered wondered why many databases werent 'properly designed'. The answer
lies within the fact (okay, assumption) that a lot of people on this list
dont know what a in computer science terms 'properly designed' database is.
If they knew what a 'properly designed' database was, then they'd
automatically make them 'proper'. They don't, so one'll have to assume they
dont know what it is. Nothing wrong with that, as you simply can't expect
everyone to know how to normalize.

Joe Davidson had a good tip for those that want to know a bit more about
database design:

-- quote --
"'MySQL & mSQL" by Yarger et. Al.(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/msql/ ).
Chapter 2 "Database Design" has excellent coverage of the subject.

Sander

http://www.php.net/mailsearch.php3
To contact the list administrators, e-mail: php-list-admin@lists.php.net