List:       php-general
Subject:    Re: [PHP] [SOLVED]mail command failing
From:       Mike Wright <lala () mail ! theorb ! net>
Date:       2010-06-29 18:18:02

Mike Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm very puzzled by this.  I've been using the php mail command for
> years but now I can't get it to work and can't figure out how to
> diagnose the problem.
>
> I can access the mail server with "/usr/bin/mailx" and by telnet
> "localhost 25".  I can also send mail using php by using 'exec (" echo
> $body | mailx -s $subject $recipient")'.
>
> php-5.2.29 on fedora10 with apache 2.2.14.  Can this be selinux related?

I'm using Zend Server Community Edition.  Apparently it is launched
pointing to a different php.ini (/usr/local/zend/etc/php.ini) and the
libphp5.so is compiled WITHOUT a sendmail path.

Even though I used "ini_set('sendmail_path', '/usr/sbin/sendmail')" in
the program it apparently had no effect.

Only after setting the path in Zend Server CE's php.ini would the mail
command work.

Zend claims it is not a bug stating, "even though the traditional path
is /usr/sbin/sendmail one cannot always be certain that is true for all
distributions".

10 days on this and miles behind schedule...