List:       php-general
Subject:    Re: [PHP] [RFC] HTTP timezone
From:       "Richard Lynch" <ceo () l-i-e ! com>
Date:       2007-06-09 22:02:48

On Sat, June 9, 2007 12:02 pm, Stefanos Harhalakis wrote:
> I've already thought about providing the full time but I didn't find
> any
> applications. Can you provide some examples about its usage? How can
> you tell
> whether a user has wrong time and not wrong timezone?

You can't.

You can't tell ANYTHING about the correctness of the time and timezone.

You can only tell if it's consistent with the server time, by
subtracting timezone offsets and then considering network latency and
rejecting any clock skewed by more than X seconds.

It doesn't tell you that it's right, really, but at least you can
identify a whole swath of definitively wrong clock/timezone settings,
and reject the worst of the bunch.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?