List:       php-general
Subject:    Re: [PHP] [RFC] HTTP timezone
From:       "Richard Lynch" <ceo () l-i-e ! com>
Date:       2007-06-09 21:59:44

On Sat, June 9, 2007 11:08 am, Stut wrote:
> Stefanos Harhalakis wrote:
>>>>
>>>     It's a good idea, but in no way related to PHP.
>>
>>   Just wanted the opinion of PHP people/developers since PHP
>> programmers will
>> be most affected by this. Can you point me to the proper php related
>> list to
>> ask?
>
> I fail to see how "PHP programmers will be most affected by this"
> since
> it would equally apply to any web developer using any language.
>
> However, I like the idea but would modify it slightly such that it
> send
> an RFC 2822 formatted date which will include the timezone but would
> also allow the server to determine if the datetime on the client is
> wrong. This can be important for applications that make extensive use
> of
> client-side technologies such as Javascript.

This would be more useful, as the server could do time-math and
"guess" if the user's clock is totally way wrong, or if it has what
appears to be a reasonably-correct setting.

But you'll STILL have WAY too many users who will only appear to have
correct clock/TZ settings, but will, in fact, submit bug reports
because your time is "off" when it's really their computer at fault.

So now it's slightly less useless :-)

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?