List:       phorum-dev
Subject:    [phorum-dev] User Profile System...
From:       "Erik Mathy" <erik () butlerandco ! com>
Date:       2000-05-26 15:22:47

Hi there!

    Some time ago, I downloaded Phorum and modified it to include a user
profile system. I never submitted the code because it was a little bit rough
around the edges. There isn't a admin page to kill users, for example.
However, I am about to download Phorum 3.1 and incorporate said
modifications to it. I plan on cleaning & modularizing (is that a word?) the
code up this time. If I can make it into something easily installable, would
you be interested in it?

    Among the features of the profile system:
    User Login
    Individual user information screen, changable by the user, viewable by
others.
    Each profile is allowed to keep up to 3 journals with their profile.
(Ex. For me, I have "Bikes" (being a bicycle nut), "Rants" (because I do),
and "What's up with this?" (about the system itself). This is one of the
rough parts that works pretty well. I want to take it step further, though.)
    User's screen names/email area automatically entered into any Phorum
message they post. No GKhan@mongolhorde.org (or whatever) fake e-mail's.

    Basically, I wanted to build a Phorum where users had to have
accountability for what they said. In some instances being anonymous can't
be an option. Public discussions about medical issues, for example (I was/am
still thinking of using the system on a breast cancer non-profit site I help
out with).

    Things I am thinking of, need to or can add:
    Profile Admin center (Needed)
    User image uploads (maybe one or two, so you can see who you're dealing
with...need to make this an "optional" feature)
    Better journaling system(add in the ability to do something like the
".plan" feature, perhaps, or give the ability to have true multiple enteries
per journal/writing rahter than one extended entry per writing).
    Smooth out interaction with pre-existing phorum code (Needed...like I
said, I built it but haven't tested it extensively. I am sure there are some
bugs to be had in the interaction between Phorum and the profiles.)

    Anyways, if you want to take a look at what's there let me know and I
will setup an account for you. The final system will have the option for the
Admin to have open or private registeration. Sometime you don't want the
whole world knocking at your door. :)

Salute!
- Erik

P.S. Oh, by the way...you folks write some pretty great damn PHP code. I
learned alot from poking around inside Phorum. Thanks!