List:       pgina-general
Subject:    Re: [pGina-general] A few questions.
From:       Steve Cross <steve () pgina ! org>
Date:       2010-08-03 15:19:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I can confirm that pGina 2.x will work with the home versions of Vista and
7. I cannot confirm that 1.x will, but to my knowledge it should work fine.

1.x is available for Windows 2000, XP, and 2003. 2.x is available for
Windows Vista, 2008, and 7. This was not by choice. When Microsoft rolled
out Vista, the authentication architecture was COMPLETELY changed. Windows
retired the GINA (which is what 1.x was based on) in favor of a credential
provider (which is what 2.x is). Because of this, 2.x was written from
scratch in order to support Vista and higher. If you attempted to install
1.x on Vista or higher, it simply would not work because the GINA portion of
windows no longer exists, and credential providers did not exist until
Vista.

Since 2.x was written from scratch, it is still much further behind that 1.x
is in terms of features and maturity. 1.x had many years of development
which is why it is as stable as it is. 2.x on the other hand has only been
around for a few years, and has only seen a few months of active
development. I have taken over the development of 2.x, but I do not have the
time necessary to develop it as quickly as I would like to. Fortunately, the
base functionality is there and work pretty well and it is compatible with
all plugins that were used in the days of 1.x.

Hope this clears things up for you a little.

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 12:35 PM, brendan powers <brendan0powers@gmail.com>wrote:

> I have a few questions about pGina that I have not been able to
> confirm by reading the wiki and the lists. It would be great if
> someone could clarify them.
>
> 1) Does pGina 1.x/2.x work with the home versions of windows XP, Vista,
> etc..
> 2) Why was pGina 2.X only available for Vista and 7? Is there a
> technical limitation with porting pGina to XP, or just not worth it?
>
> Thanks for your time.

Steve Cross
Lead pGina Developer

http://www.pgina.org