List:       perl-mailbox
Subject:    Re: Mail::Box::POP3 logical design
From:       Mark Overmeer <Mark () Overmeer ! net>
Date:       2002-06-23 11:39:34

* Elizabeth Mattijsen (liz@dijkmat.nl) [020621 10:38]:
> Ok, to make sure we're talking about the same thing and I start hacking
> Mail::Box::MH into Mail::Box::POP3:
> - creating a Mail::Box object of type "pop3" opens a connection with
>    the specified parameters.  The connection will remain open
     [SNIP]
> - If the connection fails, the object is not created
     [SNIP]
> - a deletion of a message is kept in the object until the object goes
>    out of scope in a controlled way.
     [SNIP]
All three remarks fit exactly in the Mail::Box structure.  Deletes only
take place when a mail-box is written, which is called automatically
when the folder is closed explicitly (by calling close()) or
implicitly (by dropping the folder reference)  The write may have to
re-establish connection.

> - do we want to keep persistent information about the POP3-server?
> - do we want to keep even more persistent information?

I don't think so.  I believe that this must be part of applications
which use Mail::Box, unless it is practical for many users.  Keep in
mind that the target of Mail::Box is to become a common interface
to many kinds of folders and messages as 'back-end' for real
applications.

Maybe you can do a first rougth implementation of a POP folder, and
we can discuss what can be simplified and what must be added to the
Mail::Box overall structure to satisfy the needs of supporting POP.
It seems not too complicated.  Let's try to keep it that way!
--
               MarkOv       %-]