List:       pcc-list
Subject:    Re: [Pcc] Bits for exponents and fraction in a IEEE754-2008 floating point value?
From:       "Fred J. Tydeman" <tydeman () tybor ! com>
Date:       2013-09-03 18:58:02

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 17:58:28 +0200 Szabolcs Nagy wrote:

>* Fred J. Tydeman <tydeman@tybor.com> [2013-09-03 07:43:40 -0700]:
>> The C committee is working on a binding between C11 and IEEE-754-2008.
>> We have come up with some functions for working with payloads.
>
>i've seen that paper and i still don't see why ppl do this

We believe that some users want the ability to use payloads.

>floating-point nan payload is problematic

There is no requirement for 128-bit integers, so using a 128-bit
floating-point is the natural place to store the payload.

>error handling is not very nice either in case of setpayload
>(why does it set res to 0 on error?)

0 means success.  non-zero means failure.

---
Fred J. Tydeman        Tydeman Consulting
tydeman@tybor.com      Testing, numerics, programming
+1 (775) 287-5904      Vice-chair of PL22.11 (ANSI "C")
Sample C99+FPCE tests: http://www.tybor.com
Savers sleep well, investors eat well, spenders work forever.