List:       paraview
Subject:    Re: [Paraview] Running paraview with MPI
From:       Emmanuel Colin <emmanuel.colin () supelec ! fr>
Date:       2003-03-11 21:24:32

Hi,

Thanks for your answer, Berk.

> This is expected. Unless off-screen rendering is enabled, ParaView will
> create a new render window on each process. These windows should not be
> covered by other windows in any way, otherwise, the parallel image
> compositing will not work. This is because the image buffer is
> grabbed during compositing. There are a few ways of avoiding this:
>
> 1. send each window to a different display; this is the common way
> of running paraview on a cluster

I just tried to do it this way (started two X servers and arranged for
each window to have its own), but (still using the mandelbrot source) I
just got black renderer windows. When I interact with the scene, it
appears, but as soon as I release it an it gets fully rendered the
display area goes black...

> 2a. On Unix/Linux, compile paraview with mesa or a combination of
> another GL and mangled Mesa and use off-screen rendering
> 2b. On Windows, use off-screen rendering
> To enable off-screen rendering, you have to define the PV_OFFSCREEN
> env. variable. Note that this will only work with the Windows binaries,
> on Unix/Linux, you have to recompile VTK and ParaView. I can point
> you to some documentation if this is what you want.

This would be very helpful. Thanks.

Emmanuel