List:       owncloud
Subject:    Re: [owncloud-user] NAS <-> ownCloud sync ?
From:       mark.ziegler () rakekniven ! de
Date:       2016-02-11 14:59:28

Zitat von "Urbani, Edmund" <edmund.urbani@lilandit.com>:

> On 02/11/2016 01:02 PM, mark.ziegler@rakekniven.de wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> most NAS vendors like QNAP, Synology, ZyXEL ... offer ownCloud support.
>>
>> But in a bad way IMHO.
>> Many do not maintain packages in time. Means you often have
>> outdated versions.
>> For sure you can install and upgrade manually, but you need skillz for that.
>> More skillz than running ownClound on Ubuntu because NAS vendors
>> are using different pathes on there devices.
>> Some of them have old php versions.
>> To secure your webserver config you have to do manual steps.
>> If it comes to SSL you need even more skillz to secure your Cloud.
>>
>> Personally I ran my cloud two years on a QNAP nas. Because of given
>> arguments I switched to a rasperry running Ubuntu. Cloud data is
>> located on mounted NAS share (external storage module).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
> Thanks for the input and confirming my suspicions about somewhat
> painful upgrade experiences. ;)
>
> I was actually considering a Raspberry Pi for the job as well,
> though I'm not sure if that would be powerful enough for an ownCloud
> server. Which Raspberry model are you using? Does it have enough CPU
> power + RAM for what you do?

Hello,

now it comes to your needs ;-)
I have 5 users for files, sharing, news, contacts and calendar and it
works pretty well.
But not much traffic.
My Raspberry Pi 2 Model B has not much to do (using apache as webserver).
For database I use Maria DB, but not on my raspberry. For db server I
use my NAS :-)
That moved lowered my load to 0.2 - 0.7.

Cheers,
Mark