List:       oss-security
Subject:    Re: [oss-security] linux-distros membership application - Microsoft
From:       "David A. Wheeler" <dwheeler () dwheeler ! com>
Date:       2019-07-08 16:15:48

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 15:42:58 +0200, Solar Designer <solar@openwall.com> wrot=
e:
> I don't view it as a present, but as us being reasonable.  The rules
> don't require the 1 year track record to be for Linux specifically...
> So I suggest we subscribe "Microsoft Linux Systems Group" on August 8.

I think that's entirely reasonable.  Indeed, I think it'd be reasonable to =
add
them now.  That said, ensuring that the "right sub-group" is added is appro=
priate,
since we want to ensure that people contact the correct group.

Georgi Guninski:
> ... The Halloween Documents are from 1998, which makes 21 years.

That is a long time ago.  People and companies change, and
in this case there's good evidence that change has occurred.
Forgiveness is a good idea, for both people and companies.
Yes, companies have a profit motive, but that's not at all disqualifying.

Besides, the beneficiaries of linux-distros work aren't just
the distros; they also include the *users* of those distros.  As noted in
http://oss-security.openwall.org/wiki/mailing-lists/distros ,
the list is only "to report and discuss security issues that are not yet pu=
blic
(but that are to be made public very soon...)...
It is intended that these lists be used primarily to provide actionable inf=
ormation
to multiple distribution vendors at once."
This enables everyone to coordinate so that users get *fixes*
when the issue becomes public, not just a problem the users can't deal with.

In short, I support allowing the Microsoft Linux Systems Group to join linu=
x-distros.

--- David A. Wheeler=