List:       orocos-users
Subject:    [Orocos-users] Who use Orocos?
From:       Herman.Bruyninckx () mech ! kuleuven ! be (Herman Bruyninckx)
Date:       2009-01-20 9:23:53

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Philippe Hamelin wrote:

> So it's possible via the FMTC to pay for additional features in Orocos or
> get training? We could possibly be interested to pay for the "dynamic" of
> KDL and have a Windows version (with CORBA) of Orocos. Currently, we are not
> sure if we want to do these developments with our own programmers.

I cannot speak for FMTC, and I think they do not have infinite resources,
but such a shared development is a "Good Thing" for every open source
project.

The dynamics algorithm(s) are quite well understood by some developers,
but, as was mentioned already in some other threads, we have not decided on
the most appropriate API yet. My suggestion is to have a pure abstract
interface

  ReturnCode InvDyn (KinematicChain, CurrentState, NewState);

for which several concrete implementations ("solvers") can be configured,
each possibly with its own set of properties (numerical tuning parameters,
maximum number of iterations, desired accuracy, ...)

All input in this discussion is very welcome. Now :-)

Herman

> Philippe
>
> 2009/1/19 Herman Bruyninckx <Herman.Bruyninckx@mech.kuleuven.be>
>       On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Philippe Hamelin wrote:
>
>             for over 30 years our research center develops
>             automated systems for the
>             inspection and repair of hydro-electric dams. We are
>             seriously
>             considering the use of the Orocos library for our
>             future projects. We
>             believe that the work of the 30 researchers in our
>             division will
>             certainly make significant contributions to Orocos.
>             Even if this
>             contribution can improve long-term viability of the
>             library, the fact is
>             that a certain level of uncertainty remains in our
>             organization. In
>             particular, we have to convince our managers of the
>             seriousness of the
>             library and the long-term benefits.
>

> This is a perfectly understandable situation, and an opportunity for
> both
> sides at the same time. We have had similar boosts in the past when a
> new user with a long-term commitment and a clear vision on their
> future has
> entered on the Orocos scene.
>
>       I therefore seek your help to build my arguments. In my
>       view, one of the
>       main arguments is that the submitted patches can then be
>       maintained by
>       the community and not only by a single user (or company).
>
> That is a much prefered situation. We are almost there, but not yet...
> For
> example, Peter Soetens is still indispensable for the RTT parts (and
> many
> other useful things).
>
>       Another of the arguments would be to know the number of
>       users and whether
>       there are companies who use the product in industry?
>       Indeed, if there are
>       users who read this email, I would like to know these
>       companies.
>

> I know of at least two companies that have committed themselves to
> using
> Orocos in their products. I leave it to them to contact you.
>
> The FMTC (which hosts two major contributors, Peter Soetens and Klaas
> Gadeyne) can provide you with more details about industrial use, and
> about
> possible support contracts.
>
> I am at the university (next door to the FMTC) and do not want to
> speak in
> their name :-)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Herman Bruyninckx

   K.U.Leuven, Mechanical Eng., Mechatronics & Robotics Research Group
     <http://people.mech.kuleuven.be/~bruyninc> Tel: +32 16 322480
   Coordinator of EURON (European Robotics Research Network)
     <http://www.euron.org>
   Open Realtime Control Services <http://www.orocos.org>