List:       openzaurus-users
Subject:    [Openzaurus-users] c760: Description of Installation Procedure and how to solve common problems
From:       Stefan Wolber <s.wolber () buettner-dryer ! com>
Date:       2004-02-05 10:22:02

Hi there!

I got a c760 Zaurus to help me with some start up stuff for our machinery (via
wlan and vnc).
I have an old Palm and can do all the PIM stuff with it. Right now I would
like to switch over to the Z.

During the last weeks I was following the discussion in this place but due to
limited time resources I did not proceed too far with above described
targets.

One of the problems is that I have not enough time to dig for each and any
problem in this mailing list. On the other side I find it annoying to ask
things that were discussed in this mailing lists again and again. There must
be a better and easier way to satisfy the trivial needs of 90 % of the normal
Z users to get their device up and running.

To my opinion we should compile everything that went through and that is
needed for a normal and very trivial setup of the Zaurus into a Wiki Page.

I can provide the space at http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/save/Wikilearn/
ZaurusC760TrivialSetup. Unfortunatelly you have to sign up for the wiki to be
able to edit it but the sign up procedure is very simple and anybody can view
it. Perhaps there is a better place for it. Otherwise I will compile what
ever is found here into the wiki.

Below please find a rough structure with first comments. Please feel free to
edit anything. May I suggest that it might be the easiest thing to agree on a
certain regard line to use to mark mails regarding this project, therby
allowing to filter any mails that try to contribute to this project. That way
not everything has to go into one threat. I suggest alway to use
"DIP:" (Description of Installation Procedure) in the regard line together
with the topic of the wiki issue. The topics are listed below as a
suggestion. Please feel free to add anything and to correct my english or
whatever I wrote. Everything is copied into this mail in the wiki syntax
(that way you see how easy it is - and I do not have to remove it). If you
contribute changes - or suggest them, please use a new thread, for example
"DIP: Bluetooth". Please use this threat only for a discussion whether we
should work on this project and how we should do it.

Please advise (and do not beat me for this huge mail (just use animal name for
me that will give me the kick :-)).

- --------------- content of the wiki as is -------------------------

- ---+ What this is all about (Preamble)
This wiki shall help installing all that is needed to get the c760 running as
quick and easy as possible - preferably as easy as Windows operated PDAs
together with Windows based PC's (I hate it to write the last words).

The c760 is a PDA that is based on linux. It is manufactured and sold by
Sharp. In many countries it is not sold directly anymore but you have to
contact independ dealers (in Germany for example [[Trisoft][http://
www.trisoft.de]]).

It is shipped with the so called Sharp ROM. The ROM (Distribution) is a
collection of the operating system itself and various programms for example a
GUI. There are more ROMs out there in the net for example from The Kompany.
Most GUIs are based on Qtopia.

This wiki shall describe the setup for [[OZ][http://www.openzaurus.org]]
3.3.6.pre. OZ is an abriviation for Open Zaurus, an Open Source Linux port
for some handheld as the Sharp Zaurus c760. In this description it shall be
used together with [[Opie][http://opie.handhelds.org/]] 1.0.3. Both versions
are relatively new - OZ is not even release as stable but I found it to work
better with the c760 than any other. It can be found at http://
openzaurus.org/official/experimental/c700,c750,c760,c860/3.3.6-pre1/
In the end it might be possible to cast all methods into scripts that one can
execute on the PC and on the Z and thereby making installation as easy as
possible.

- ---+ Z <-> Linux Computer
- ---++ Trivial Setup Goals
- ---+++ Installation of the new ROM

Download
 initrd-gcc3.bin
 updater.sh
 zimage-husky.bin

and  ipks.tar.bz2
ipks.tar.bz2 contains all kind of additional packages that you might want to
use.

The following is an excepert from the README.FIRST which should be read
first!!!!

- - How to use                              -

 - Rename initrd-<whatever>.bin to initrd.bin
 - Rename zimage-<model>.bin to zimage.bin
 - Copy initrd.bin, zimage.bin and updater.sh to your
   FAT-formatted CD or SD
 - Attach Power Cable
 - Reboot while pressing and holding OK on your machine
 - Choose 4 (Update Kernel)
 - Choose CF or SD (USB not tested, no idea)
 - Choose HAI (YES) (Left)
 - Enjoy OpenZaurus 3.3.6-pre1

- ---+++ Network through USB
- ---++++ Debian PC (to be exact Knoppix Distribution based Notebook)
The problem is that the usbnet.c at the linux kernel 2.4.20 will not recognize
the c760. You have to patch it. Please see also the article at Knoppix.net,
Forum "Sync Sharp Zaurus SL-C760 to Knoppix with TCP/IP via USB" that deals
with this. My diff is extended for the OZ ID. The rest of the description is
a exact copy from jdiercks message, dated 05 May 2003.

   1 Download and unpack http://home.earthlink.net/~cocoadev/
usbnet-standalone.tar.gz

   1 Apply this diff to usbnet.c:

1429a1430,1450
> static const struct driver_info       zaurus_slc760_oz = {
>       /* Japanese C760 ~= US SL-C760 */
>       .description =  "Sharp Zaurus SL-C760",
>       .flags =        FLAG_FRAMING_Z,
>       .check_connect = always_connected,
>       .tx_fixup =     zaurus_tx_fixup,
>       .in = 1, .out = 2,
>       .epsize = 64,
> };
>
> static const struct driver_info       zaurus_slc760_sharp = {
>       /* Japanese C760 ~= US SL-C760 */
>       .description =  "Sharp Zaurus SL-C760",
>       .flags =        FLAG_FRAMING_Z,
>       .check_connect = always_connected,
>       .tx_fixup =     zaurus_tx_fixup,
>       .in = 1, .out = 2,
>       .epsize = 64,
> };

2404a2426,2443
> }, {
>       .match_flags    =   USB_DEVICE_ID_MATCH_INT_INFO
>                         | USB_DEVICE_ID_MATCH_DEVICE,
>       .idVendor               = 0x04DD,
>       .idProduct              = 0x8007,
>       .bInterfaceClass        = 0x02,
>       .bInterfaceSubClass     = 0x0a,
>       .bInterfaceProtocol     = 0x00,
>       .driver_info =  (unsigned long) &zaurus_slc760_oz,
> }, {
>       .match_flags    =   USB_DEVICE_ID_MATCH_INT_INFO
>                         | USB_DEVICE_ID_MATCH_DEVICE,
>       .idVendor               = 0x04DD,
>       .idProduct              = 0x9031,
>       .bInterfaceClass        = 0x02,
>       .bInterfaceSubClass     = 0x0a,
>       .bInterfaceProtocol     = 0x00,
>       .driver_info =  (unsigned long) &zaurus_slc760_sharp,

   1 make (might need to adjust LINUX_DIR in Makefile first)
   1 insmod ./usbnet.o
   1 ifconfig usb0 192.168.129.1
   1 ping 192.168.129.201
   1 mount //192.168.129.201/home /mnt/test

 ... and now Knoppix should be able to browse the Z's filesystem at /mnt/test,
or telnet into the Z at 192.168.129.201, whatever. If you want the Z to have
full internet access using the Knoppix PC as a gateway, then you'll have to
set up routing and NAT.

 I saved usbnet.o to a floppy so I can skip steps 1-3 in the future. Should
probably put a script on the floppy to automate the insmod/ifconfig/mount
steps too. If I was really ambitious I'd remaster the Knoppix CD so it would
just boot with the custom usbnet.o already loaded. But I would expect this to
make it into the mainstream soon enough anyway, there will probably be a
future Knoppix release that supports usbnet to the C760 right out of the box.

- ---++++ PIM Synchronisation
- ---+++++ OZ / Kontact (Kitchensync)
- ---++++ Data Backup (rsync)
- ---+++ Bluetooth
- ---++++ GPRS (via Bluetooth to the cell phone into the one and only Net)
- ---++++ Headset for listening to music or recording and playing voice notes
- ---+++ WLAN
- ---++++ Connectiong into the internet
- ---++++ PIM Synchronisation
- ---+++++ OZ / Kontact (Kitchensync)
- ---++++ Data Backup (rsync)

- ---++ Advanced Setup Goals
- ---+++ Hancom Office Suite
- ---+++ Media Player

- ---++ Future Goals
- ---+++ Handwriting

- ---++ Compatibility
At this place all other PDA that are more or less compatible to the c760 shall
be listed. Any remarks regarding compatibility issues can be made  here for
general affairs or at the specific issues when appropriate.

To my understanding the c700, c750 and the c860 should be the same.

- ---+++ Description of the various PDA that this description is compatible
(Here should be listed the difference between the PDAs)

- ---+ Z <-> Windows Computer