List:       openzaurus-users
Subject:    [Openzaurus-users] Re: Can't get Stereo sound
From:       Ashley Gittins <agittins () purple ! dropbear ! id ! au>
Date:       2003-12-17 16:16:50

> It could be related to the mic switching anyway, as mono-microphones
> usually gives earth on the position for 'right speaker' on the mini
> jack. (mono-jacks have a larger earth-part and uses the upper left-part
> for signal)

Quite right, however the Zaurus supports duplex operation, with mic on tip
(left), speaker on ring (right) and earth on sleeve. When a mono mic is
plugged in, the right output gets shorted to earth (as you describe), but the
device in question might just be a protection device for when the output is
shorted to ground. If switching is done for mono plugs, it won't be at the
device I found, as with only 6 pins, 4 of which are signal lines, it only has
pins available for power. Since I isolated the fault at that component, I
don't think I have a switching issue.

The only switching that would apply to the right channel is mixing down to a
mono signal. From my tests, I am pretty sure that this happens before the
main amp chip (a JRC 2172), and this "303" device is after the amp.

--
Regards,
        Ashley Gittins