List:       openzaurus-users
Subject:    Re: [Openzaurus-users] Stuck at logn: prompt
From:       "Jay R. Gindin" <jayg () blarg ! net>
Date:       2003-12-17 6:08:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Well, I have just experienced a similar result. I have a 5000D running
3.3.5, and did not move /root (or any other directory), nor did I assign
a root password (hadn't gotten there yet). I did, however, install bash
and the modified (updated?) library necessary for getting opieplayer2 to
work. Last I checked, none of my filesystems were full, or any other
such problems (though please let me know if there are specific checks to
be made).

Prior to the last suspend, I had mediaplayer2 running; I did not close
it down before suspending. Then, earlier today, I resumed (maybe 24
hours since the suspend). Immediately, there was a dialog box telling me
that opieplayer2 had been terminated due to a SIGSEV (I believe that's
what it was, but unfortunately I was no where near a pad of paper to
write the message down on).

At this point, the Zaurus became totally unresponsive--nothing doing.
So, I flipped the switch on the back to "Replace Battery", waited for
the screen to go totally blank, flipped it back, and turned it on. At
this point, I get:
    (none) login:

As soon as I enter "root", I get:
    login: cannot run /bin/sh: No such file or directory

I plan on re-flashing, though I don't think I'll be adding bash back...

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 16:47, Egan Ford wrote:

> After installing 3.3.5 on my 5500 I have had few problems.  I am not sure what I
> did, but I suspect the combination of moving /root to /mnt/card and symlinking
> it (my /mnt/card is ext2 formatted), installing bash, and assigning a root
> password has hosed me.
>
> Error:
>
> Warning: Cannot change to home directory
> Login:  Cannot run /bin/sh
>
> How hosed am I?

jay

"Perfection is our goal;