List:       openzaurus-users
Subject:    Re: [Openzaurus-users] Re: ssh-client on OZ 5600 libcrypto.so.0.9.7 error
From:       Chris Larson <kergoth () handhelds ! org>
Date:       2003-11-19 17:21:32

* Michael Lauer (mickey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de) wrote:
> Am Mit, 2003-11-19 um 01.46 schrieb pdc00@doc.ic.ac.uk:
> > Solved: It was because I was installing on SD card. I needed to do:
> >
> > ln -s /mnt/card/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7
>
> *sigh*
>
> Time to restate my suggestions i have been repeating for around one year
> now without being heard.
>
> Why can't we just put /mnt/card/... and /mnt/ram/... stuff in ld.conf,
> let aqpkg depend on libc6-utils and call ldconfig after an installation
> to non-root. We could save _much_ confusion and problem reports like
> "the busy icon flashes, but the application doesn't start"...

There were a couple reasons to rely on LD_LIBRARY_PATH rather than
ldconfig.  The first, and biggest, reason, was that a static ldconfig
binary was like 600k or something atrocious.  That is taken care of
thanks to a patch from Phil Blundell that causes it to build shared,
which I think is worthwhile.

The second reason is concern over the ld.so.cache updates.  Either you
move it into a ramdisk, as we'll do for the modules .dep files, and run
it on boot, or you leave it and flash and deal with the obvious
concerns.

Regardless, your point applies to whichever method of handling
libraries, the default LD_LIBRARY_PATH could include the filesystems on
the cards.

Also, while your proposed solution would help things in this specific
situation, the biggest problem people encounter in doing this is when
they leave their card as vfat, so the symlink to the proper soname cant
be created, whether its ipkg or ldconfig that tries to do it.
--
Chris Larson - kergoth at handhelds dot org
Embedded Linux Developer - clarson at ti dot com