List:       opensuse-wiki
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-wiki] Plan Status?
From:       Klaas Freitag <freitag () suse ! de>
Date:       2010-07-01 12:09:46

Am Mittwoch 30 Juni 2010 14:19:43 schrieb Thomas Schmidt:

Hi,
> > I have a question regarding the current plan and the status of the Wiki
> > migration.
> > If I remember correctly the plan was to switch to the new english (and
> > the german?) wiki before 11.3 comes out, is that still the plan?
>
> Yes, it;s the plan to switch short before 11.3, I think at 12.7.
Good.

> > When looking at the Todo-Page at [1] one still finds a lot of free spaces
> > in the list in the "Who"-Column. Is the list up to date? Or does that
> > matter at all?
> >
> > It would be great if the Wiki Team could clearify on this a bit because
> > I think the new wiki is quite important for a nice 11.3 "Party" and it
> > would be good to know about the facts there.
>
> There is still a lot of work to do. The areas in which we are behind and that
> are needed for a good launch are the distribution portal (Portal:Distribution)
> and concept (do we want a portal for each release?), the project portal
> (Portal:Project) and the application pages (no consistant layout).
Thanks, Tom, for this information. What I am wondering is who is supposed to
do these missing peaces? And what is the exit criteria, ie. do we launch in
any case, even if these parts are still missing in two weeks?

We talked about that a bit in the project meeting yesterday. People asked
why there isn't a public call for help. I understand that it is important
that people who want to help with the migration understand the new concepts
to make the new wiki a success. OTOH I see that for many of the still missing
parts we need the experts who formerly maintained the pages, and these aren't
probably able to catch up with the new wiki concepts in the remaining time.

So how can this be helped?
1. We make the info about the new wiki concepts easier consumeable, ie. with
the help of a screencast so that people easily can consume it and know how to
work in the new wiki and start.
2. The current members of the Wiki team do the work where the expert wiki knowledge
is needed (ie. create stub pages in the right context in the new wiki, do formatting
etc.)  and afterwards catch the experts and ask them to more or less "copy and paste"
the content into the new page and rework it from the content POV.

Maybe one of these ideas can help? What does the wiki team think?

regards,

Klaas