List:       opensuse-translation
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-translation] Before starting with 11.2 translations
From:       Karl Eichwalder <ke () suse ! de>
Date:       2009-03-02 14:04:27

"Olav P." <olav.pet@gmail.com> writes:

> Torsdag 26. februar 2009 10:05:04 skrev Jannick Kuhr:

>>  Could you tell me when and why these SLE translations have been
>>  created? In many files, especially files we (the german team) have
>>  proof read before the 11.1 release are very different (70%?). Many
>>  changes/improvements (conformity with Gnome/KDE!) are reverted, other
>>  strings are just translated differently - not better not worse.

No, nothing got reverted.  SLE11 translations are based on the approved
SLE10 SP2 translations plus new translations.  These new translations
are either done from scratch or based on openSUSE or upstream
translations.

>>  Of course some typos have been fixed, others been introduced. But in
>>  general I would say that at least our files recently proofread
>>  before the 11.1 release are better. I have the impression that for
>>  at least some files SLE did not make any use of our translations or
>>  real fork happened a long time ago.

Some of the 11.1 translations were done "too late".  For example, even
shortly before GA the German openSUSE translations were rather mixed and
thus we have had to use the SLE10 SP2 translations as the basis.

> I have not checked my language very recently, but I can relate to this
> from past experiences.

I admit that in the past SLE translations surfaced in the openSUSE world
via the memory files, but we never exchanged existing translations
directly or intentionally.  Lately, I stopped adding translations from
the SLE branches to the memory files of the trunk.

> It is indeed quite annoying to fix bad translations (which I suspect comes
> from the SLES/SLED process), only to have the the same bad translations
> reintroduced before the next translation round.

Please check whether this actually happened in the trunk of the SVN.
Maybe, something weird happened by accident.  Otherwise it would help a
lot if you create a bug entry telling us which messages you have had to
fix.

--
Karl Eichwalder
R&D / Documentation