List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    Re: RFC: New devel project devel:languages:python:pyqt and deal with different SIP versions
From:       Ben Greiner <code () bnavigator ! de>
Date:       2021-02-21 15:06:00

Am 21.02.21 um 13:30 schrieb Simon Lees:

> Hi,
>
> Firstly Cross posting to factory as there is a chance not everyone who
> needs to read this is on packaging@ (more for packaging help and support)

In this case the instructions in the project description of
devel:languages:python need an update and an appropriate mention of the
factory mailing list in the wiki [1] should be added.

****

... and of course I hit the send button with the wrong sender tag again,
so if a moderator decides to let that through instead of discarding, you
get this mail up to 4 times now m-(

Sorry.

*****

> On 2/20/21 6:18 AM, Ben Greiner wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > python-sip, python-qt5 and co. have always been kind of a foreign body
> > to C++ focused KDE:Qt5. May I propose to create
> > devel:languages:python:pyqt and put related packages into that one?
> > Maintainers could be python and QT/KDE people together.
> Its worth noting that currently python-qt etc is staged and bought up
> with each Qt version
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/KDE:Qt:5.15/python-qt5 for
> example so how well this change will work with the existing Qt setup I
> guess we will have to wait for the KDE/Qt people to answer.

It's a long standing myth, but not true [2, 3]. And of course all those
subprojects can continue to link to their preferred package version.
Strangely, many Qt5 packages in Factory don't even have an assigned
devel project at all [4]. python-qt5 has devel project KDE:Qt5, btw.

> > ## List of existing packages to be considered:
> >
> > python-pyqt-builder
> > python-pyqt-rpm-macros
> > python-qt3d-qt5
> > python-qt5
> > python-qt5-sip
> > python-qtcharts-qt5
> > python-qtdatavis3d-qt5
> > python-qtwebengine-qt5
> > python-sip
> > python-sip4
> > qscintilla-qt5
> >
> > ## New packages to be created (using the PyPI names as naming template
> > instead of continuing the legacy rpm package names. Of course
> > appropriate `Provides:` tags for the rpm names should be included):
> >
> > python-PyQt6 (also providing python-qt6)
> > python-PyQt6-sip (also providing python-qt6-sip)
> > python-PyQt6-3D (also providing python-qt3d-qt6)
> > python-PyQt6-NetworkAuth (also providing python-networkauth-qt6)
> > python-sip6 (see below)
> > ... and more of the family as they are released upstream.
> >
> > ## Not PyQt[56] but closely related or the "competitor":
> >
> > python-PySide6
> > python-PySide2 (currently python3-pyside2)
> > python-QtAwesome
> > python-QtPy
> > python-poppler-qt5
> > qutebrowser
> > eric
> >

> > There is also SIP v6 now. Some packages still depend on SIP v4 (e.g.
> > cura libraries) or use the legacy features of SIP v5 (e.g. the sip5
> > executable), so we can't just have a single up to date python-sip. After
> > some discussion with DimStar a few days ago, I propose, what I call the
> > "tornado approach", because it is what python-tornado is doing right now:
> >
> > * Have python-sip4, python-sip5, python-sip6, all providing python-sip
> > * Make python-sip a meta package and have it require the currently
> > preferred default (python-sip5 at the moment).
> > * Have the appropriate `Prefer:` tags in prjconf.
> >
> > Thoughts and comments welcome!
> >
> > Ben

Cheers,
Ben