List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: What is pulling in *-lang packages?
From:       "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas () telefonica ! net>
Date:       2024-04-19 9:50:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

[Attachment #4 (text/plain)]

On 2024-04-19 11:01, Martin Wilck via openSUSE Factory wrote:
> On Fri, 2024-04-19 at 11:17 +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

> Side note - I don't see much value in openSUSE's all-or-nothing
> approach to language support. It's interesting to see that zypper seems
> to have a concept of "requesting" locales. But installing any locale
> other than the default means installing -lang packages with support for
> all languages supported by the package, while the average user will
> need no more than one language besides English. Are there any packages
> that actually provide language support split by language? (I don't see
> any).

Yes.

kicad-lang-es-5.1.8-bp155.2.10.noarch

libreoffice-l10n-es-24.2.1.2-150500.20.3.11.noarch

kde3-i18n-es-3.5.10-lp155.36.69.noarch
kde3-i18n-es-base-3.5.10-lp155.36.69.noarch

texlive-babel-esperanto-doc-2021.189.1.4tsvn30265-150400.18.1.noarch

man-pages-es-4.19.0-bp155.2.3.1.noarch

gimp-help-es-2.10.0-150400.16.5.noarch

There is no unified naming scheme. Mozilla can download in runtime
different languages, but at install time it is a single language
package. Both Gnome and Plasma I think did or do different languages
packages, but I did not locate this time.

If the languages parts are small, there is no much saving by doing
separate packaging. The view in Linux seem to be better install all
languages, so that all users of a single machine can choose their own
different languages, all being available.

Disk space is cheap :-p

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 15.5 x86_64 at Telcontar)

["OpenPGP_signature.asc" (application/pgp-signature)]