List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: Plasma 6 and Wayland from Review of the week 2024/09
From:       Joe Salmeri <jmscdba () gmail ! com>
Date:       2024-03-11 19:23:40

On 3/10/24 00:21, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> On 10.03.2024 02:48, Joe Salmeri wrote:
> >
> > I also have another server which is headless and using xrdp which has
> > multiple Remote Desktop users.
> >
> > When you try to research the topic it seems many people confuse
> > Remote Desktop with Remote Control.
> >
> > Remote Desktop is multiple remote sessions with different users,
> > Remote Control is remote access sharing the desktop session of the
> > currently logged in user.
> >
> > I cannot switch to wayland until Remote Desktop is supported.
> >

> A Wayland session is defined by a running Wayland compositor. No
> remote access to the Wayland session is possible as long as the
> compositor is not running. So the only possible mode of remote access
> *is* Remote Control in your definition.
>
> KWin supported virtual backend for almost 10 years and "kwin_wayland
> --virtual" should work. If your KDE session enables remote access you
> should be able to connect remotely to "kwin_wayland --virtual".
>
> What is missing is Display Manager layer where you could connect to
> the system, authenticate and have your session started. That is what
> you define as Remote Desktop. Or to put it differently - it is not
> possible transparently, you cannot replace connection to one
> compositor (greeter session) by connection to another compositor (user
> session). But vncserver mode should work - ssh into the remote system
> and start some script that launches headless Wayland session, then
> connect to it using your program of choice.

Thanks for the explanation. 	Those aren't my definitions, those are pretty commonly \
used, however, in my research on this topic there also seems to be a lot of \
information out there that misuses the terms so I wanted to be clear in my post.

Remote Control / Remote Screen Sharing / Remote Management / Remote Screen Mirroring \
or whatever term you prefer lets you see the 1st computers screen on a 2nd remote \
computer. In the Microsoft world they call it Remote Assistance.

While it may use some of the same technology as Remote Desktop ( also called Terminal \
Services on Windows ) is very different in that Remote Desktop provides multiple \
remote users access to a desktop session.

I am aware of this limitation currently in Wayland but was pointed out "Never say \
Never" as work is being done to provide headless support for Wayland through GDM and \
I believe that the KDE people are also working on something.  I've been following \
that link about Wayland thgrough GDM.

The xrdp people are also watching/communicating with the TigerVNC people looking into \
how to provide this type functionality.

Linux is such a great multi-user server so hopefully it is not a matter of if but one \
of when it will be available.

--
Regards,

Joe