List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: Plasma 6 and Wayland from Review of the week 2024/09
From:       Lew Wolfgang <wolfgang () sweet-haven ! com>
Date:       2024-03-10 16:28:34

On 3/9/24 23:31, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
>> Does Wayland support networked connections similar to X11?
>>

> No.

Not to complain, but I remember Sun Microsystem's slogan "The Network
is the Computer" in 1986, partially enabled by X11.  It sounds like Wayland
is dropping that philosophy in favor of a simpler environment centered on
the individual user sitting in front of a single computer.

The X11 paradigm did have issues with local display of graphics generated
remotely.  Even if a local workstation had a super-duper graphics adapter
it wasn't usable for a program running on a remote server.  (If this can
be done somehow, please let me know!)

How will this work with Wayland using waypipe?  Will it possibly improve
graphical performance over a network?

>> If not, will it in the future?
>>

> No (at least, everything so far indicates that Wayland will never be
> extended over network).

I understand now, networking is out of scope for Wayland.

>> If not, what are the alternatives beside staying with X11?
>>

> waypipe for "ssh -X". For "exporting entire desktop" both KDE and
> GNOME should support desktop sharing in Wayland.

With waypipe, you have the Wayland Compositor running on the local machine,
correct?  It doesn't then run on the remote server, right?  Does this
imply that
the remote graphics program can utilize the local graphics accelerator?
That
would be a big win!

>> If Wayland does support remote connections, what port(s} does it use?
>> Are connections encrypted?  What of authentication?
>>

> Desktop sharing is usually using RDP or VNC. You need to check your DE
> manuals what options they support. It is completely out of scope for
> Wayland.

Understand.  xrdp can be configured to use TLS to ensure secure connections.

In summary as I understand it,  Wayland is basically changing the
fundamental design
philosophy of UNIX/Linux networked computing.  We're loosing some
things, and
gaining others.  Does this mean that Linux is now closer to the MS Windows
environment?

Regards,
Lew