List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: Migrate from update-alternatives to libalternatives
From:       Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk () suse ! de>
Date:       2023-10-02 6:16:58

On Sun, Oct 01, Joe Salmeri wrote:

> I am aware of transactional-update being used with MicroOS, Aeon, Kalpa as well as \
> the transactional server role in TW, however, last I checked ( its been a month or \
> two since I spun up a new TW installation ) the standard TW install using KDE or \
> GNome at least does NOT use transactional updates.
> So to better phrase my question, are there plans for TW KDE or GNome new \
> installastions to be switching to the transactional-update mode ?
> If YES, then will there be a migration process for older TW installations that were \
> not using transactional-update or will a new install be required ?

You have the choice if you want to have a transactional or a
non-transactional system, why should we remove that and force people to
use a transactional system? Today there are no such plans as they
wouldn't make any sense.
But in any case: if we would do that, there will be no migration
process, as this would require a repartitioning of most users harddisks.

--
Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect, Future Technologies
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Frankenstraße 146, 90461 Nuernberg, Germany