List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: openSUSE Release Engineering meeting 03.05.2023 - MicroOS KDE
From:       Gerald Pfeifer via openSUSE Factory <factory () lists ! opensuse ! org>
Date:       2023-05-14 20:28:32

On Sat 2023-05-13, Eric Schirra wrote:
> So, the more openSUSE users, the less users who support SLES at work.

Do you mean "fewer" instead of "more"? Even then I'm not convinced there
is such a straightforward correlation.

On Sun 2023-05-14, Richard Brown wrote:
> So really, no, you cannot make a strong argument that SUSE needs to
> invest in openSUSE's userbase for it's business. SUSE will invest in
> it's userbase.

I'd argue that SUSE also is supportive of and investing in the openSUSE
userbase.

As for openSUSE, I believe we need to invest in *both* users and
contributors, not the least since the latter often recruit themselves
from the former.

On Sun 2023-05-14, Sarah Julia Kriesch wrote:
> Sometimes I pitied your crisis Manager.

To the best of my knowledge there is no such role within SUSE (though
indeed one of mine sometimes feel like it

> In the same time you did your default "marketing only" presentations
> with the goal to keep all the knowledge.

Not sure who "you" refers to here. If it's about presentations by Richard,
personally I found all I recall interesting and helpful, consistently
among the best I have seen at various events.

In any case this looks like a bold, unsubstantiated, and inappropriate
allegation regarding Richard's, or someone else's, motives.

> The SUSE user base would be bigger, if you all would be allowed to
> represent your knowledge and your products.

I really do not know what you are trying to imply. SUSE employees are
allowed to share their knowledge regarding technologies, open source
projects, and SUSE products at conferences, open source events, on
mailing lists, and in many, many other ways.

> Your competitors have received more new customers than SUSE - or better
> said - they have received your rejected customers.

This really is not the right place to discuss SUSE policies, SUSE's
business, nor veiled insinuations or anecdotal stories related to
these.

Let's stick to openSUSE matters, please, shall we?

Gerald