List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: openSUSE Release Engineering meeting 03.05.2023 - MicroOS KDE
From:       Eric Schirra <ecsos () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2023-05-13 7:40:03

Am Mittwoch, 10. Mai 2023, 14:54:44 CEST schrieb Richard Brown:

> > In a distro that is 100% volunteer based contributors matter, without
> > contributors nothing happens, yes its nice if the contributors listen
> > to what the users want but at the end of the day if there is no
> > contributors to listen to those users nothing will happen.
>
> Exactly, and in the case of the MicroOS Desktop, those volunteers have
> decided to tackle use cases that apply to themselves, and people who
> think like themselves.
>
> This is core open source principles "Every good work of software starts
> by scratching a developer's personal itch."
>
> The MicroOS Desktop doesn't have to appeal to anyone besides the people
> making it.
> Never mind anyone else. It doesn't need to attract a bigger userbase as
> long as the volunteers are volunteering.
> It doesn't even need to appeal to others who currently uses openSUSE -
> We have Tumbleweed for them.
>
> So I wholeheartedly disagree with the premise that volunteers should
> spend their time being commanded by unpaying users to develop software
> that the users want to use.
>
> That's the business of commercial software, which is great, I like my
> job and working for users when I'm being paid for it.
> But voluntarily? I think all volunteers should have the freedom to do
> what they want to. Nothing more, nothing less.

A user base, as the name suggests, lays a foundation for the commercial
product. Microsoft has mastered this like no other company.
So if the developers keep to themselves and don't focus on increasing the user
base, sooner or later the commercial sector will feel the effects.
So, the more openSUSE users, the less users who support SLES at work. Thus
SLES has sometime no more e relevance. I have made the experience that if you
want SLES products, you have to fight for it. That used to be different.

Regards
 Eric