List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: Heads up: UsrMerge impact imminent
From:       Aleksa Sarai <asarai () suse ! de>
Date:       2021-06-11 12:13:44

On 2021-06-11, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 7:15 AM Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@inai.de> wrote:

> > >You run "zypper dup" in the container? Can't you just update your
> > >container image?
> >
> > Not everything runs on orchestration where you can rebuild from scratch.
> > Think systemd-nspawn. There just is no image facility as far as that's
> > concerned. It's just you and a directory tree.
>
> LXD is image based, just like OCI container systems are.

LXD does have images but they're not like OCI/Docker images and there
isn't a "docker build"-like ecosystem. LXD images are basically just a
tar-ified version of a distribution's root filesystem and there are no
layers.

LXD containers are managed more like VMs -- you can use other tools on
top to get a more infrastructure-as-code-style model (such as OpenShift)
but at its code LXD containers don't really have anything akin to
Dockerfiles.

--
Aleksa Sarai
Senior Software Engineer (Containers)