List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: Heads up: UsrMerge impact imminent
From:       Neal Gompa <ngompa13 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-06-11 9:08:33

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 4:03 AM Aleksa Sarai <asarai@suse.de> wrote:

> On 2021-06-01, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 9:48 PM Niklas Haas <lists.suse@haasn.dev> wrote=
:

> > > I submitted https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/896791
> >
> > We don't support filesystems without RENAME_EXCHANGE, and this code
> > makes the change not atomic and frankly quite scary. Shouldn't you bug
> > the OpenZFS people to implement renameat(2) instead?
>
> I just ran into this bug today, and I realised that this bug actually
> also affects users who run containers on *different hosts* that have ZFS
> as the backing filesystem. For instance, running Tumbleweed on Ubuntu
> (which has ZFS as the default filesystem) will result in this error
> being triggered. (I personally run LXD containers on openSUSE with a ZFS
> storage driver, but this same thing would happen with Docker or LXD on
> Ubuntu or any other distribution with ZFS.)

ZFS is *not* the default on Ubuntu. You have to explicitly select this
when setting up disks. I literally just did an Ubuntu installation a
couple of days ago for work, and it didn't select ZFS when running
through the default installation.

And anyway, if you're doing containers, you can blow them away and
start over, right? That's the point of containers... RIGHT?!

--
=E7=9C=9F=E5=AE=9F=E3=81=AF=E3=81=84=E3=81=A4=E3=82=82=E4=B8=80=E3=81=A4=EF=
=BC=81/ Always, there's only one truth!