List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: RFC: New devel project devel:languages:python:pyqt and deal with different SIP versions
From:       Ben Greiner <code () bnavigator ! de>
Date:       2021-03-06 10:16:58

Hi,

Am 06.03.21 um 10:29 schrieb Matěj Cepl:
> Dne 06/03/2021 v 03:25 Hans-Peter Jansen napsal(a):
>> OTOH, any activity, that consolidates the state and manageability of
>> these
>> packages is much appreciated, because of the development shift in SIP
>> 4..6.
>
> Let me just add my 0.02  ¢: I am not sure about the scholastic
> distinctions between PyQt and PySide, but I found really weird, when
> we have GUI-related (both Gnome and Qt/KDE/whatever) packages in d:l:p
> itself. I have just tried to kick python-GooCalendar out of d:l:p to
> the Gnome-land, because these packages are really not that much about
> Python, and they are more about the underlying GUI, and I have
> absolutely no clue about that.

The biggest motivation for my proposal is the counterpoint to this: Most
apps building on PyQt are very python centristic. Naturally, you already
find many of them in d:l:p. The packaging has to cater to all of the
python specific stuff (e.g. singlespec). There is no direct interface to
the Qt libraries. They are not in KDE:*, because they are not connected
to the KDE or Qt upstream projects other than using their libraries
through PyQt and SIP.

The PyQt family itself is a separate upstream project. Phil Thompson's
Riverbank Computing is not related to KDE or Qt. Building PyPI hosted
SIP, PyQt[56], PyQt{,6}-*, and QScintilla requires python packaging skills.

And please let me repeat, because this is often misunderstood: PyQt5
packages build against any Qt5 version and the PyQt6 packages build
against Qt6. The infamous %Timeline SIP directive makes sure to support
only features present in a specific Qt version: Building PyQt5 5.15.3
from source against Qt 5.12 works. It just does not contain the features
introduced since then.

We already agree that PySide, coming directly from Qt, should remain
with the KDE:Qt devel projects.

We also agree that packages should be moved from d:l:p to more specific
(sub)projects.

IMHO devel:language:python:pyqt is the most fitting place in the devel
project taxonomy. PyQt is not furhter away from developing python
related software than NumPy in d:l:p:numeric, Jupyter, or Django.

> Concerning the name and the organization: why not to call it PyKDE as
> all-covering project?

These packages use Qt as GUI toolkit, but there is really no further
connection to KDE at all.

> Matěj

Ben