List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: RFC: New devel project devel:languages:python:pyqt and deal with different SIP versions
From:       Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj () urpla ! net>
Date:       2021-03-06 2:25:45

Dear Ben,

Am Montag, 22. Februar 2021, 22:54:44 CET schrieb Ben Greiner:
> On 22.02.21 22:03, Luca Beltrame wrote:
> > If I understood this correctly, this means a new devel project
> > *exclusively* for PyQt stuff (while official stuff from Qt like PySide
> > would stay there)?
> I think anything between "just core PyQt/SIP" (the set currently in my
> ~:pyqt) and "everything to develop for Python and Qt" is imaginable. In
> the latter case, a more suitable name would be
> devel:languages:python:qt. It's totally okay if you want to keep
> PySide[26] in KDE:Qt. QtPy falls somewhere in between the two extremes
> as it is a wrapper for both PyQt and PySide. And then there are
> libraries or applications which build heavily on SIP or PyQt, like
> python-poppler-qt, qutebrowser, or eric. The first two have a good home
> at their existing devel projects. The latter is in the catchall d:l:p,
> and I am sure both Matej and Pete would be happy to move it to a sub
> project.

Sorry for the late reply. Something called "life" strongly distracts me from
being a responsive citizen for the community at the moment.

The only issue I see at the moment, is how to support multiple Qt versions
besides the default one, that comes with the distribution.

Since the development targets of PyQt and PySide are pretty diverging (the
former is able to support nearly any combination in the Qt and PyQt version
matrix, while the latter is pretty strongly bound to Qt development itself).
So yes, d:l:py:pyqt for the former and keep the latter side by side with the
Qt build itself does make the most sense to me. Hermaphrodite projects like
QtPy will never fit frictionless anyway.

OTOH, any activity, that consolidates the state and manageability of these
packages is much appreciated, because of the development shift in SIP 4..6.

Thanks for your continuous effort to improve the status quo.

Pete