List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Removal of Python2 from openSUSE Tumbleweed
From:       Simon Lees <sflees () suse ! de>
Date:       2020-01-10 1:45:59

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

On 1/10/20 1:40 AM, Adam Majer wrote:
> On 1/9/20 3:13 PM, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
>> Just a sample:
>> I am just busy switching the fail2ban package to use py3. Upstream had
>> support for it for years - yet our package was never switched.
>

> I agree with this. What I don't agree with is removing the *interpreter*
> that we (SUSE) still have to maintain anyway. Not keeping the
> *interpreter* in Factory removes the QA feedback from our TW users and
> is unnecessary. Just don't accept anything new that BR: python.

Well at the same time SUSE is working to have tumbleweed in a ready
state to branch it for the next SLE release and the best way to be sure
that tumbleweed is functioning well without python2 for the next SLE
release is to no longer have python2 in the distro. We really don't want
to be maintaining it for another 10 years after that release.

Given that python2 really shouldn't change much from now into the future
one would think the QA feedback we would get from TW users about any
python updates would be rather limited.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30