List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    [opensuse-factory] Upstreams dropping python2
From:       Todd Rme <toddrme2178 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2019-04-17 20:08:23

Over the next year we are going to start seeing more and more
upstreams that are dependencies for a lot of other packages drop
python2 support.  Some have already done it (sympy, matplotlib,
django), others have plans in place to do it over the next few months
(numpy, pandas), while others will randomly drop python2 support with
little or no warning.  We probably should decide on a real policy now
how to handle this.

I see two main approaches:

   1. Keep a python2-foo package that sticks with the last python2
compatible version.
   2. Switch all packages that have a hard dependency on it to also be
python3 only.

Up to this point this has been handled somewhat arbitrarily on a
case-by-case basis.  So for example we keep a python2-matplotlib, but
not python2-astropy.

I think we would benefit from having a clear policy on how to handle
this.  Does anyone have an opinion on what it should be?

Personally, since according to upstream at least we should be
transitioning to python3-only, I would favor dropping all python2-foo
packages and having packages that depend on python3-only packages be
python3-only, with special exceptions possible on a case-by-case
basis.