List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Plan for python2-only packages
From:       Matěj Cepl <mcepl () cepl ! eu>
Date:       2018-05-24 20:27:00

On 2018-05-24, 06:56 GMT, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Another concern in this proposal is that the package
> dependency isn't considered.  What if a dropped package is
> required by lots of other packages?  The warning should be
> reached to all these relevant packages; otherwise you'll bust
> the build of all of them out of sudden.

Of course, it is considered. Factory maintainers won't let you
remove package which has alive dependency (BuildRequires or
Requires, both).

> Last but not least, IMO, two weeks are too short for such
> a transition.  One may have a vacation for two weeks easily if
> living in Europe :)

Well, I guess the best protection against removal is to show
some signs of life in the package. If package has not been
touched in the last two years (https://is.gd/lCVFbz and the last
upstream release in Jul 13, 2015), my restraint against removal
is significantly lower.

Best,

Matěj
--
https://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: mcepl@ceplovi.cz
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

Oh, to be young, and to feel love's keen sting.
  -- Albus Dumbledore