List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: What about PyPI itself? [Was: Re: [opensuse-factory] Plan for python2-only packages]
From:       Todd Rme <toddrme2178 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2018-05-23 18:29:31

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 11:23 AM, Mat=C4=9Bj Cepl <mcepl@cepl.eu> wrote:
> On 2018-05-21, 16:09 GMT, Todd Rme wrote:
>> What about packages that are maintained but remain
>> python2-only?
>>
>> And would it really be a large amount of work if we make it
>> clear that no further work on legacy packages will be done by
>> dlp maintainers?
>
> Let me add one even more controversial comment. I would like to
> start a discussion on purpose of the packaging Python packages
> at all. I mean, certainly we need to package all dependencies of
> applications we ship, and we need to have somehow defined basic
> platform we can maintain. However, what is the advantage of
> having packaged PyPI package, which is completely ignored in
> OpenSUSE repositories, has just minimal number of users?
>
> Just randomly from packages I am going through, what is the
> value for average OpenSUSE user of maintaining package
> python-odorik? It is a Python library providing Python interface
> to the API of tiny Czech mobile phone operator (so small I have
> never heard about it, even though I am a Czech myself).  Would
> its (I would risk to assume) few users be really that harmed by
> using pip, and using the package directly?
>
> I guess the original author of the package was/is OpenSUSE user,
> so he packaged it for the distribution as well, but my point is
> that maintenance of packages is not free (in terms of time we
> need to spend on it, not necessarily money), and we should
> consider the costs of the maintenance.
>
> Best,
>
> Mat=C4=9Bj

The main advantage in my view is having multiple eyes on it.  If I
maintain my own set of packages I am solely responsible for keeping
thing running, up to date, etc.  But if it is part of openSUSE, then
people can and do work together to do this.  It is less work for each
individual since any work one person does benefits everyone rather
than just themself.