List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Can I remove locks in TW
From:       Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar <dimstar () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2017-09-26 16:50:34

On Tue, 2017-09-26 at 12:27 -0400, Todd Rme wrote:

> > We have three levels in package dependencies:
> >
> > Requires: the application cannot operate without this dependency
> > Recommends: The application/package is usable, but can miss
> > features.
> > It's up to the packagers to get a balance here
> > Suggests: Additional enhanced features can be added as suggests; An
> > application can potentially do even more than what a majority
> > expects
> > of it.
> >
> > No doubt, though: some packages are a bit eager in recommending
> > other
> > things (e.g. xmlto, converting xml files to other formats,
> > recommending
> > texlive, really?)
>
> That is not my package, but I personally avoid suggests since there
> is
> no support for them in YaST2.  That means they are invisible to most
> users.

Adding recommends instead is approching the issue from the wrong angle
though.

Let alone that yast DOES show suggests (in the Dependencies tab of a
package; but one can't pick and chose there)

So, the goal must be to improve the UI, and not use recommends in place
of suggests (always keeping in mind: recommends are default auto-
installed, suggests are to suggest to the user that something else
might make sense too)

Cheers
Dominique