List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] 12.3 RC1 R128 trouble
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2013-02-20 6:43:30

On 2013-02-19 01:03 (GMT-0500) Felix Miata composed:

> Using 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
> Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x (rev 02) here. 11.4 works OK.

> I installed HTTP started by Grub using latest factory-snapshot with nomodeset on
> cmdline. Graphical install worked fine, though slow with only 384M RAM, but resulting
> X is unusable. The left half of the screen is fine, but the right side is a mess, as
> if there were some kind of buffer misalignment repeating portions and omitting others.
> Using nomodeset produces mostly black screens with colored lines in various places at
> various times in attempting to start the login manager, and kills keyboard.

> Bunch of Xorg.0.log files: http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Xorg/os123r128/

> Anyone looked for a match to any of these upstream R128 bugs? http://tinyurl.com/bz5lfmv

> I've commented in the last bug in that list. Exiting X makes the system unresponsive
> to keyboard and mostly empties the screen to black.

Turns out 12.3 just needed the same thing 12.2 needed, but until now I forgot
to look. My laptop has an EDID problem, so needs HorizSync and VertRefresh
lines configured in xorg.conf or 50-monitor.conf as workaround. Latest log:
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Xorg/os123r128/Xorg.0.log.10.txt

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/