List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] The plan to speed up openSUSE 11.2
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () novell ! com>
Date:       2009-06-02 14:53:39

Am Dienstag 02 Juni 2009 schrieb Stephan Kulow:
> Am Freitag 29 Mai 2009 schrieb Rastislav Krupanský:
> > Gimp
> > first - 11s
> > repeated - 9s
> >
> > Gimp
> > first - 23s
> > repeated - 17s
>
> I'll check if I can reproduce this here.

I can't with kvm. Here it takes around 8s to start gimp repeatedly with the
same kvm config - both installed gnome live cds (they call it ubuntu though
:).

I get ~21000 relocations on openSUSE and ~17000 on ubuntu, which is an
indicator that they have less libraries and/or modules. But once they are in
cache, the shouldn't make a difference. And especially not as large as you
measured it. How much memory did you give your installs btw?

And cold starts shows a significant difference. Dropping caches and loading
gimp on ubuntu takes ~11s and loads 21MB from hard drive. On openSUSE it loads
46MB and takes 15s. Now let's see what's the difference in files loaded. If we
only check the top 10 files:

Ubuntu:
1012 /usr/bin/gimp-2.6
281 /usr/lib/libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0.600.6
138 /usr/lib/libIlmImf.so.6.0.0
110 /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1600.1
72 /usr/lib/libgegl-0.0.so.0.22.0
65 /root/.gimp-2.6/pluginrc
52 /usr/lib/libgimp-2.0.so.0.600.6
51 /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.2
50 /usr/lib/liblcms.so.1.0.18
46 /usr/lib/libstdc

openSUSE:
1915 /usr/share/icons/Tango/icon-theme.cache
1038 /usr/bin/gimp-2.6
800 /usr/share/icons/gnome/icon-theme.cache
675 /usr/share/icons/hicolor/icon-theme.cache
288 /usr/lib/libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0.600.6
165 /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose
145 /usr/lib/libIlmImf.so.6.0.0
108 /usr/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSans-Oblique.ttf
108 /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1600.1
103 /usr/lib/libopenraw.so.1.5.2

So yes, our gimp links against libopenraw (410K) and uses Compose by default
(700K), but the main difference between ubuntu and openSUSE when it comes to
GNOME applications in general: We have way more icons and love to read the
cache.

If you only count accesses to icon-theme.cache, you get 13.2MB - which does
not explain the full difference but the major part of it.

But there is a catch: these icon themes are supposed to speed things up when
they are in cache. And they will very likely for GNOME users. But it's likely
the reason of firefox being slow to start under KDE.

Greetings, Stephan