List:       opensuse-buildservice
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-buildservice] OBS Logo
From:       "Bryen M. Yunashko" <suserocks () bryen ! com>
Date:       2011-08-07 22:25:56

On Sat, 2011-08-06 at 12:53 +0200, Klaas Freitag wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 3. August 2011, 14:11:36 schrieb C. Bergström:
> >   On 08/ 3/11 07:07 PM, Robert Lihm wrote:
> > > Hello All!
> > >
> > > I made a new logo for the OBS [1]. The second variant in the PNG is
> > > mainly for cases like e.g. ads, banners, etc. Where the logo is
> > > small/tiny.
> > >
> > > Hope you like it ;-)
> >
> > No - it's really ugly
> >
> > /* Me thinks no engineer should be allowed to design logo and
> > companies/communities should use something like 99design */
> This post shows that you neither have experience in the openSUSE community, as
> otherwise you would know that Robert is a designer nor with free software
> communities in general as you would know how to contribute your constructive
> criticism.
> I think we'd like to ask you to silently learn a bit more and try again later.

I agree that the tone was not helpful and immediately contributed to
degradation of a thread that was meant to be collaborative.  Let's not
slamp people when they offer up their ideas or end-works.  Let's learn
to speak more constructively.

> I think if we discuss the logo, we have to try to imagine that its used in the
> Bento theme, where its reduced form and grey color makes great sense to me.

From a marketing perspective, let's not forget also that OBS is not just
a community project tool but also a product with commercial offerings.
So it needs to be a logo that appeals both to community and enterprise
audiences.

The factory image is conceptually cool.  But the design of it is way too
similar to several other companies I can think of that use that concept.
I do agree that we should retain that "factory concept" but be a bit
bolder in how it is portrayed.   The glass-skyscraper type concept seems
to be a very good one and is attractive enough to turn heads if
displayed in a booth at some events.

As for text font, I'd like to see us be consistent with using FifthLeg
wherever possible, but that's only a wish, not an insistence.  :-)

Bryen M Yunashko