List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: MozillaFirefox 125
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2024-04-27 16:20:51

Andreas Stieger composed on 2024-04-27 18:04 (UTC+0200):

> Knurpht-openSUSE wrote:

>> Op zaterdag 27 april 2024 17:19:38 CEST schreef Andreas Stieger
>> Users:

>>> In any case simply waiting a bit seems
>>> to best fit the user's needs right now.

>> That is by far the best one can do.
>> Andreas, the reason why I'm warning and objecting is that on a daily basis I
>> see at least 4-5 issues where these are caused by additional repos. The
>> experience is that once users add one repo, more will follow because they see
>> it as a valid option.

> And you may can continue to do so. But in case this did not come across:
> I think we should stop short of suggesting we don't even mention
> alternatives. I believe in informing users fully, you know... open. This
> is a valid opinion to the fully informed users, a foot-gun for some -
> and that's just life. I think the zypper "orphaned packages" feature
> will help a bunch here.

Additional repos are typically employed via software.opensuse.org's 1-click
process, which needs to be fixed or eliminated to cut the frequency of additional
repos trouble. I don't believe most users have any consciousness that the 1-click
process installs these booby traps.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata