List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: Can you help with rename files? (a bit offtopic, sorry)
From:       "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty () suddenlinkmail ! com>
Date:       2023-12-24 0:16:26

On 12/23/23 08:38, Daniel Bauer wrote:
> I have lots of files named like
> 07X55c_IMG_0155.png
> where 07X55c is a random text of varable lengths which I want to cut so that
> the file will be renamed to IMG_0155.png
>
> In my simple-mindedness I just opened mc, selected all the files and typed in
> the rename dialog
> replace *IMG*
> by IMG*

If they are all in one directory, just cd to that directory and do:

for fnmame in *IMG*.png; do mv "$fname" "${fname#*_}"; done

or if in multiple subdirectories feed a while loop with find:

while read -r fname; do mv "$fname" "${fname#*_}"; done < <(find the/path
-type f -name "*IMG*.png")

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.