List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: how does file encrypt work?
From:       Daniel Bauer <linux () daniel-bauer ! com>
Date:       2023-12-15 18:43:43

Am 15.12.23 um 18:51 schrieb Payam Firouztala via openSUSE Users:

> On Friday, December 15, 2023 at 07:25:37 AM PST, Daniel Bauer
> <linux@daniel-bauer.com> wrote:
>

>  > thanks for the hint. Anyway as much as I see it, Plasma Vault would be
>  > linked to my KDE, but I search for a solution to encrypt files or
>  > folders in a way that I can put them anywhere and share with others.
>  >
>  > I am looking for something to encrypt files so that somebody can decrypt
>  > them even on a Mac or Win-PC. With this I could for example deliver
>  > private client photos via dropbox or similar.
>

> I wonder if Veracrypt is the answer you are looking for.
> You create a container (file) that you would mount as a volume/drive
> using a password (which is always required)
> Then you copy files or directories into the mounted drive. Once you
> unmount the drive you can place that container
> anywhere. Anybody you wish can download the file and mount it using the
> password you send them.
> It's cross-platform.

Thanks. It looks interesting, as much as I understand it's kind of the
same approach as I use with my LUKS-encrypted image-files for my own
purposes.

The problem I see here is that the receiver must install Veracrypt to be
able to mount a container (at least s/he can, in contrary to LUKS on
Win, as far as I know).

But I bookmarked it, in case I find no easier solution.
Daniel Bauer photographer Basel Málaga
Twitter: @Marsfotografo (often explicit nudes)
https://www.patreon.com/danielbauer
https://www.daniel-bauer.com (nudes)