List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: why did eth0 suddenly stop working? CLOSE to get solved...
From:       Dave Howorth <dave () howorth ! org ! uk>
Date:       2023-07-18 11:05:30

On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 17:10:54 -0700
Lew Wolfgang <wolfgang@sweet-haven.com> wrote:

> On 7/17/23 13:47, joe a wrote:
> >> You could use "ethereal" or "tcdump" to log the connection of one
> >> camera to the laptop when you boot that camera.
> >>

> > I've not read each and every post, but I suspect the cameras will
> > turn out to be set to obtain address via DHCP, the LAPTOP is
> > enabled to provide DHCP (as server) and the PC is not.
>
> Daniel said he configured the cameras for static IP. IIRC.   I've got
> mine (same brand) for DHCP from my Zyxel router.
>
> But there's also a setting there for DNS.   It can be "Auto" or
> "Static". Mine is auto, how about yours, Daniel?
>
> Also have you tried running nmap against the cameras?   Maybe try
> it from each of your computers.
>
> Here's one of mine:
>
> Starting Nmap 7.92 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2023-07-17 15:45 PDT
> Nmap scan report for 192.168..x.y
> Host is up (0.00093s latency).
> Not shown: 996 closed tcp ports (reset)
> PORT         STATE       SERVICE
> 53/tcp     filtered domain
> 80/tcp     open         http
> 443/tcp   open         https
> 9000/tcp open         cslistener
> No exact OS matches for host (If you know what OS is running on it,
> see https://nmap.org/submit/ ).
>

> >> As your cameras and computer are on an isolated network, they can
> >> not get infected by malware, so you could disable the automatic
> >> boot.
> >
> > Not a sure bet. MALWARE can hitch a ride on removable media. "AIR
> > GAP" is not a panacea.
>
> That's true.   You can add a SD card in these cameras for local
> storage. so they can operate
> independent of cloud services.

I have some Reolink cameras too. They can operate independent of the
cloud regardless of whether they have an SD card fitted. My cameras are
isolated from the Intertubes and work just fine.

>   Malware could conceivably hitch a ride on the SD card I guess.
>
> The camera's run embedded Linux.   If you're interested, here's an
> analysis of hacking into
> a Reolink camera.   Great sport!
>
> https://www.thirtythreeforty.net/posts/2020/05/hacking-reolink-cameras-for-fun-and-profit

Interesting article but somewhat out of date. You can access the
cameras with a web connection to them. You can configure them to send
video over FTP to a server etc etc.

I have them connected to a Reolink NVR and then the video is backed up
to a Linux server in a different place. So hopefully I will have video
if anybody attacks them.

Their support is pretty good and their support website has new
information almost daily. Can be confusing sometimes but at least it's
up to date. Oh and they replaced a failed camera without quibble under
guarantee.