List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: hardware(?)-problem with new mini pc
From:       Daniel Bauer <linux () daniel-bauer ! com>
Date:       2023-06-26 8:59:19

Am 22.06.23 um 03:10 schrieb Masaru Nomiya:
> [...]
> DB>  - the mini PC was replaced with a new one of same brand/type, still beeps
> DB>  (different) when switching on
> DB>  (https://www.daniel-bauer.com/div/bip2.mp4 from second 3)
> DB>  it's an American Megatrends Bios
>
> DB>  - I replaced the single bar 32GB memory with 2 new bars of 16GB -
> DB>  no change :-(
> [...]
>
> In the first bib.mp4, the beep sound was 1 long 1 short, but with
> memory replacement, the beeps changed to "pi, shurushururu".
>
> I couldn't figure out what "pi shurushururu" sounded like.
>
> I found out that the first pi sound means that the PC has booted up
> normally, and the "shurushururu" sound is not a beep sound, but is
> coming from the rotating device, and there is no shurushururu beep
> sound.
>
> So, I can assume that the PC is now in a normal state after the memory
> replacement, but does it have any rotating devices?

Just for information:

Yes, I think (hope) the new PC is working as should, despite of the beep...

I let if resize a video with
ffmpeg -i aFishCalledWanda.avi -vf scale=1080:-1 -threads 0 -preset
veryslow -crf 18 -movflags +faststart wanda.mp4

which should used it at the max. It run perfectly. To be even more mean
with it, and although gkrellm showed nearly 100% usage of all cores I
used Yast to install a large application plus surfed the internet with
firefox, all at the same time.

The processors got hot (98 - 100 °C), but it worked fine. Then I
encrypted a new external 8TB disk and am installing ext4 file system on
a single 8TB partition with mkfs.ext4 -c L, which runs since 14:23h and
is at 97.5% right now with the processors at 54 °C.

For my knowledge this is quite a heavy stress test and it passed. So I
hope the case is solved.

Thanks everybody for the input!

Daniel
--