List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] systemd
From:       ianseeks <bingmybong () btinternet ! com>
Date:       2017-07-16 7:54:33

On Saturday, 15 July 2017 23:50:25 BST Larry Stotler wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 4:12 PM, ianseeks <bingmybong@btinternet.com> wrote:
> > How do you think is actually in the init system? Don't get fooled into
> > thinking the "extras" in the systemd project are actually in the init
> > system itself.
>
> It's not really the extras so much as the other projects that intend
> to make systemd a dependency(ie Gnome).  What if someone releases
> something better in the future?  Then these dependencies would
> discourage adoption.
Its the other higher level software projects that decide to use systemd bits
and pieces thereby creating the dependency but the anti-crowd incorrectly say
that systemd forces that dependency.

> > BSD has to get Cgroups before it can be used anyway.
>
> Most BSDs don't seem to want systemd from what I have seen anyway.
They are looking into their own version of a new init system, they cannot use
systemd because of the lack of cgroups.

> >> From what I have seen, a lot of people just don't like the devs, LP
> >> the least.  For all his ranting, in some ways he is as arrogant as
> >> Linus is "mean".
> >
> > This is the main reason, professional jealousy.
>
> I can't comment on that though I have seen many articles about the
> issues with systemd pro and con.
Issues exist for all software, it just gets personal and playground b1tchy by
the anti-crowd when LP is involved in the development.

> > systemd has gone quite a way to reduce fragmentation by providing a
> > standardise way of running on all the distros without each distro having
> > reinvent the wheel.
>
> Maybe, but we still have hundreds of distros(many unmaintained)
> compared to the "competition" on the desktop.  Seems to be a lot of
> duplicative effort(but effort that peoplke chose to make).
Thats seems par the course for open source, the better ones survive and weak
one wither.

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20170712
Qt: 5.9.1