List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] systemd
From:       "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty () suddenlinkmail ! com>
Date:       2017-07-16 7:16:43

On 07/15/2017 07:16 AM, Todd Rme wrote:
> I am confused by these arguments. At the beginning you complain there
> is not enough fragmentation, then at the end you complain there is too
> much. Which is it?

  That is not what I understood at all from the post. At first it was a
discussion about progress [in Linux development] and it being forced on the
user base or the base forced to find a work-around. Not a complaint, but a
valid observation that has played out time and again In the opensource world
where, at times, we too a guilty of failing to learn what history has to teach...

  Nowhere did I see the simplified dichotomy you have sized upon. It is more a
reflection of the awkward leaps and starts that have occurred in Linux
development and the impacts of the various changes on the user base as
traditional approaches are replaced by monoliths that subsume the functions of
what were once collections of simple tools each doing their jobs and doing
them well. (there were also a couple of anecdotes thrown in for good measure)

  I find it difficult to believe you are actually interested in an answer to
the question you posited, "Which is it?" As if a post is not capable of
containing but a single topic. It's far more probable the attempt to force a
choice was meant as surreptitious criticism or off-hand comment.

  That has a name. It's called "trolling". It is unwelcome here.

  This is a community and we all have to get along in a, hopefully, productive
way. Sometimes that encompasses debate over the way Linux or openSuSE is
developing, and sometimes there a strong feelings on each side of the
argument, but it should never include argumentum ad hominem.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.