List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] systemd
From:       James <james () insiberia ! net>
Date:       2017-07-15 9:18:00

Larry Stotler:

> In the long run, it's up to each person to decide if the changes
> implemented by the project leaders(who can't please everybody) are a
> deal breaker or not.  Resources are far from infinite and IMNSHO
> Linux's biggest problem is fragmentation more than anything else.
> With Windows or Mac OS, you have 1 OS and several versions to choice
> from.  With Linux, you have hundreds of distros and many versions of
> each.  You even have dozens of BSDs to chose from.  Projects like the
> Linux Standard Base and others tried to make things more uniform, but
> even then you have .deb vs .rpm and so much more.
>
> Sometimes too much choice is worse than having basically no choice at
> all.  People are stubborn and will support their choice no matter what
> anyone says.
>
> To each their own.

this has been my complaint about linux all along - fragmented. i used it
from '99 to '06 when i became ill. then used windows because it was easy
for me. when i was better, i went to mac. my mac died recently and i
tried kubuntu, devuan, and settled on opensuse because i felt it was the
most stable when compared to .deb. so here i am. i most likely wont go
back to windows or mac now. there are just too many choices out there.