List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] systemd
From:       Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink vv <knurpht () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2017-07-14 20:48:40

Op vrijdag 14 juli 2017 22:22:18 CEST schreef Brian K. White:
> On 7/14/2017 3:34 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
> > On 14/07/17 03:11 PM, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:
> >> Furthermore I'd like to state I'm not a friend of Lennart, never met him
> >> actually, but that I do dislike the bashing of him. IMHO he's one of the
> >> FOSS people that have dared to step up and do something. Which, IMNSHO
> >> deserves respect.
> >
> > Indeed.
> >
> > In one of the classic texts on logical circuit design, so fundamental that
> > its idea are probably embedded in every design tool and now taken for
> > granted in the>
> > profession, is a quotation from the Roman poet Homer.  In translation it
reads:
> >         Brother, if you have a better idea, propose it freely.
> >         If not, make use of mine.
> >
> > Or, idiomatically:
> > 	Put up or shut up.
> >
> > Its easy being a critic.
> > Contributing something that is effective, lasting, easy to understand and
> > maintain, and extensible is quite another matter.
>
> Uh, the better idea had already been proposed, and it proved itself for
> decades. Nothing about systemd improves upon it.
>
> systemd is like saying you think you invented a better way to do
> accounting. All that best-practices stuff they taught everyone for
> decades, so old and obsolete, we have a better way where we don't have
> to do all that annoying double entry stuff. Oh ok. Got it.
>
> --
> bkw
Yep. And KDE3 is the only desktop.
And kernel 2.6 is the best ever made.

We've heard all this lots and lots of times over the years. These days we have
an openSUSE Project which follows upstream directions. You're free to use OBS
/ Studio to create your own distro using sysvinit or whatever. We provide the
tools, take some time and you're hassles re. systemd will be gone.
Until the sysvinit devs kill their own project.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team