List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] systemd
From:       "Brian K. White" <brian () aljex ! com>
Date:       2017-07-14 20:22:18

On 7/14/2017 3:34 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
> On 14/07/17 03:11 PM, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:
>> Furthermore I'd like to state I'm not a friend of Lennart, never met him
>> actually, but that I do dislike the bashing of him. IMHO he's one of the FOSS
>> people that have dared to step up and do something. Which, IMNSHO deserves
>> respect.
>
> Indeed.
>
> In one of the classic texts on logical circuit design, so fundamental that its
> idea are probably embedded in every design tool and now taken for granted in the
> profession, is a quotation from the Roman poet Homer.  In translation it reads:
>
>         Brother, if you have a better idea, propose it freely.
>         If not, make use of mine.
>
> Or, idiomatically:
>
> 	Put up or shut up.
>
> Its easy being a critic.
> Contributing something that is effective, lasting, easy to understand and
> maintain, and extensible is quite another matter.

Uh, the better idea had already been proposed, and it proved itself for
decades. Nothing about systemd improves upon it.

systemd is like saying you think you invented a better way to do
accounting. All that best-practices stuff they taught everyone for
decades, so old and obsolete, we have a better way where we don't have
to do all that annoying double entry stuff. Oh ok. Got it.

--
bkw